Sunday, March 17, 2013

Timing is Everything

I was just thinking timing is everything. You meet a person, someone you could spend your life with, but the timing just stinks. You're in a relationship, they are in a relationship, one or both of you just got out of a relationship. One's ready, the other's not. There are many reasons.

Timing is everything. Once upon a time, I became close to someone who I cared about very much. For almost six years we were around each other periodically. Part of the time we lived in different places. Other times, we were dating other people. The one time we were single and in the same city, he had just found out his girlfriend of two years had been cheating on him, and they had just broken up. He told me he wasn't ready, I started dating someone else. Then the next time he called, I was unavailable. We kind of just gave up then. He married someone, and I was genuinely happy for him. The next time I saw him I said congratulations and gave him a hug. 

I think if it was meant to be, it would have happened. I mean, six years??? I spoke with him not too long ago, and he told me he had nothing, but fond memories of me.  Same goes for him. I loved him to death because he made me think. We were so different though. Night and day. 

Even since I moved here to San Antonio, I've had a few bad timings. I asked a friend if I was stupid for trying to make something work with someone. The friend said he didn't think the guy was bad for me, just bad for right now. Before it would work, we had to get into the same place, and that never happened. It still makes me sad, because he was the first person I loved in a long time. To this day, he understands me so well. Not too many people get me on that wavelength.

If you don't want the same things at the same time, it's a useless endeavor. It's never going to work. If you both just want to have fun, keep it casual, that usually works. If you both want to settle down, that usually works. If one wants to party, and the other doesn't, it's a recipe for disaster. And if one want to move away and the other wants to stay, you are just begging for heartache.

Timing is everything in life. You can meet the perfect someone, but if the timing or the intentions are off, it is never going to work. I'd like to say it gets easier with age to recognize this, but sometimes it's hard. Sometimes you just want to give it a chance to see what will happen. Sometimes you get too far in before you recognize the danger signals. 

The point is, you have to take the chance sometimes. You usually don't know until it's too late, that you aren't on the same wavelength. It takes time and effort. If you are lucky, you can take a friendship out of the relationship. Because even though the timing may suck, you may have gained a friend for life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment